Farm community with a small-town atmosphere. While Milliken still feels small it’s grown beyond the original old town. Many newer neighborhoods, parks, and recreation venues to chose from including the Mad Russian Golf Course.
Many people came from the east to settle in western Weld County and eastern Larimer County. Many of the establishments settled are Towns that the two counties govern today. Milliken was one of the many sites settled at this time. It began as a trading post in the 1860's and in 1905 was recognized as the Hillsboro community. This trading post was established as a result of visionary investors who wanted to take the Denver, Laramie and Northwestern Railroad, the Denver Laramie Realty Company, and the Northwestern Land and Iron Company and develop a railroad line from Denver,Colorado to Seattle, Washington.
Several Towns and stations from Denver along the Platte River were utilized as trade centers for agricultural products grown in the area. The railroad served as a transportation commodity on a line that traveled through Hillsboro and stopped with a small extension to Greeley. The railroad and investors’ visions of transpiring economies as a result of their creation failed.
By 1908, Hillsboro was beginning to be overlooked by another Town creation, Milliken. Named in honor of Judge John David Milliken, the President of the Northwestern Land and Iron Company and General Council of a legal department that oversaw three companies involved in the railroad line, the Town was slowly recognized. On October 1, 1910, the Town annexed Hillsboro and was recognized by the State of Colorado as the Town of Milliken. Hillsboro currently lies on the southwestern corner of the present Town.